Engman R.B. Adams, Class W Eng Which Overturned on Bridge East of Bluefield

Mon Jan 12 10:40:31 EST 2015

Many years ago, Engineman John Adams (who hired around 1910) gave me the 1898 rule book owned by his father, R.B. Adams, a Radford Division Engineman.

The elder Mr. Adams had been killed on a Class W engine when it derailed on an eastward train, ran out onto a bridge and overturned, falling into the East River, somewhere east of Ingleside. To my complete consternation, I made no note on the engine number at the time Johnnie Adams told me the story.

Does anyone have information on this wreck, which probably occurred in the first several years of the 20th Century ?

-- abram burnett