Virginian passenger trains/ 1954 N&W event

Wed Feb 4 16:33:57 EST 2015

 Passenger service continued between Roanoke and Charleston until January 24, 1952.  On this date, the final run was made over New York Central trackage rights between DB Tower and the New York Central depot in Charleston.  The trains briefly terminated at DB Tower until June 20, 1952, when the western terminus was changed to Page.

Service ended in Virginia, on the New River Division, on December 31, 1954, when the final runs of 3 and 4 between Roanoke and the West Virginia state line near Glen Lyn, VA, were operated.  The trains continued to run in West Virginia from Hales Gap to Page while the West Virginia Public Service Commission considered the Virginian’s request for discontinuance.

Daily operation of train No. 3 began at Princeton by backing to Hales Gap, just inside the WV/VA state line, where the train began its trip west to Page.  Train No. 4 similarly passed through Princeton in the afternoon on its way to Hales Gap, before backing back to Princeton for its overnight stop.

On July 11, 1955, Engineer H.G. ‘Harry’ Foster along with Conductor H.R. ‘Red’ Harvey and their crew brought train No. 3 into Page, WV for the very last time thus ending passenger service on the New River Division.  That same day train No. 4, with Engineer J.W. Kealing and Conductor T.J. Henretta finished its eastward run at Hales Gap, WV and then backed empty westbound to Princeton.

Tom Marshall