Concrete Water Tank

Sun Feb 15 09:23:51 EST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 9:15 PM,
​Ed
 wrote:

It appears to me that there would be no water in the structure below the
> level of the spout; what would be the  point of having to pump it into a
> tender?  It’s likely that all the space under that height would be empty.

​Given the location of the concrete tank in Radford, off on a side track
and nowhere near the roundhouse or main line, I'll posit that the tank was
a holding tank for raw water pumped from the New River. Once treated by the
equipment in the room at the bottom of the tank, the softened water would
then be pumped to another tank or tanks, from which tenders would be
filled. I assume that the treated water would also be used in the boiler in
the power house adjacent to the tie treating plant. Sounds like this could
be a good article for The Arrow . . .

Bruce in Blacksburg
​