Concrete Water Tank

Wed Feb 18 16:31:34 EST 2015

The 2,000,000 reservoir was the second of that type installed on a hill
above the Shaffers Crossing softening plant.  A pump house (still standing
the last time I was in the vicinity) where Peters Creek flows into Roanoke
River added alum to the water that it pumped up to the two 2,000,000
open-top reservoirs where the alum served to settle solids before the water
flowed by gravity down to the softening plant near the roundhouse.

I am attaching a excerpt from the Roanoke City GIS system showing these
reservoirs, which were subsequently destroyed by expansion of Roanoke
Electric Steel (whatever it is call now).  As soon as I learned of their
demise, I rushed to capture the GIS image before it was updated,
eliminating the images of the reservoirs.

Gordon

Moderator:

*Sent:* Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:10 PM
*Subject:* Re: Concrete Water Tank

Gordon,

The Data Book I have for 8/21/51 does not list Shaffers Crossing of the 17
listed water softening plant throughout the system.  A quick look at the
1953 Annual Report states for property improvements: “At Roanoke, Va., a
2,000,000 gallon capacity concrete reservoir for storage of water.”

It is very possible that it was complete and placed in service in ‘53.

Sometime when in Roanoke I would like to review your copies of the data
books to update the info I have.

Bud