What is the line between Bristol and Radford called

Sun Apr 5 19:01:36 EDT 2015

Jeff:
My personal experience, being from Radford, it was always 'the Bristol
line'. It butts straight into the former Southern Railway at the state line
in Bristol VA/TN. At one time and it may still be, a part of the Radford
Division of NS. It is part of the original N&W starting out as the Virginia
& Tennessee, with track, in the early 1850's. The charter actually goes
back about 20 years earlier as the Lynchburg & Tennessee but renamed to get
better public acceptance and support. It is still a very important part of
the modern Norfolk Southern. It was 'the route' when double stack container
trains were being routed Chicago - Norfolk. The Columbus,OH - Bluefield
route still had many low tunnels. That has since been corrected by the well
publicized tunnel enlargement program.

Since I'm not a railroad employee, I'm sure an employee (retired or not)
will have something to add. And I'm sure there are some that will show me
little, if any, mercy for any misstatements.
Charlie Long
Lynchburg