Post Merger NW Reporting Marks

Thu Apr 16 20:08:02 EDT 2015

As information, two issues are being addressed below.

First developed when NS and CSX purchased Conrail and divided up the
Conrail equipment.  In order to avoid duplicate reporting markings with the
Association of American Railroads (AAR) reporting system, it was agreed  that
CSX would add PRR to the unique number of the equipment they  acquired.  NS
would not add anything to the equipment they acquired in the  division of
Conrail equipment they received in the purchase.

Second, Norfolk Southern and its predecessor Southern Railway used the sub
lettering on their locomotives to visually identify ownership under the
Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) identification standards.  They use to
go further and have metal plates attached to the locomotives and other
equipment  which identified the entity, normally a bank, that had financed the
purchase.  Although they are now probably retired, other Southern sub
letterings  besides CNO&TP included AGS, S&A, CofG, NS (after  Southern purchase of
the "original NS" in 1974)   G&F, and  G&SF, to name a few. SOU ownership
locomotives did not have any sub  lettering.

Finally, I'm not sure that "Southern purchased the N&W,"  ever, although I
always enjoyed telling everybody that, especially after Ed  Burwell sent me
to the N&W coal piers at Lamberts Point and I had to relearn  all the
operating and safety rules for the N&W!

Bill Browder
SOU, NS, NRPC, and AAR Retired

In a message dated 4/13/2015 8:49:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,