odd photo

Sat May 16 22:53:22 EDT 2015

I can verify reading princes book 1331 is the lowest numbered engine to
get the treatment from an L1a to an L1b. N&W is no stranger to reworking
their engines, The point is about the L1b it has low pressure front
cylinders, while the L1a is basically a full simple engine.
This is about grinding on the mountains to move that coal at low speed.
The simple engines could move faster. The reason why is the larger
cylinders at higher speed cause reverse pressures which does not work
well for higher speeds, but low speeds are fine, why the Y class
compound development, drag that freight over them mountains.
N&W could probably pick and choose the best engines in condition to take
the modification and last many more years, and that they did with all of
their steam lineup, but again other lower end steamers met the scrappers
torch while steam technology advanced.  The Roanoke shops were very
talented keeping the steam fleet alive why many of the older engines
lasted to the end. M2c's built in 1917 still working in 1958? wotta run.

-Lynn-