Locomotive names

Mon May 18 13:16:33 EDT 2015

> Not so much in the naming area, but when (if ever) is NewSouthern going to create a companion N&W heritage unit a la the Southern "tuxedo" SD40 3170 that was released earlier this year? Something in the tuscan passenger paint of the early dieselization might be nice, or even the steam-era "Norfolk and Western" spelled out on the long hood in gold with the "N&W" in a circle above the unit number on the cab (not the hamburger version, the earlier one).
>
> Bruce in Blacksburg

Bruce,

If everything follows thru the plan as I heard and read is that the 1580(SD40) Norfolk &Western's first is supposed to be rebuilt as well.  1580 is currently stored at Juniata awaiting whatever may come.  I believe NS picked the two first SD40's as this was the only model they still had the first delivered units from both Southern and N&W.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC