Nomenclature of engines from way back when

Thu May 21 16:57:14 EDT 2015

Thank you Ed and Bud for getting everyone straight on what the employees
called the locomotives way back when, be they twelve-hunnerds,
2100-hunnerts or whatever. Thank you.

That said, what did the VGN and the C&O call what we today call
"Allegheny?" We know the C&O had 60 of them and the VGN less than 10, and
they were virtually the same but what did the crews call them? Anyone know?

We call them by their Class names, H-8's or Allegheny's or Class AG (hope
I'm right on that), but this could be interesting.

The UP called the Big Boys four-thousands and their 4-12-2's were
nine-thousands, both for their road numbers and I am sure we can come up
with a list a mile long for the other guys so let's keep it close to home.

While we're here on the topic, what did N&W call the Pacifics? 500's? What
about the various 4-8-2's?

Bob Cohen