611's Return

Wed May 27 09:20:17 EDT 2015

Hi all:

While I have not been an active poster on this group, I just want to say a
sincere thank you to all the great information, including the information
on the return of the 611 and the car information.

I take special interest in knowing the status of the Roanoke chapter cars.
During the summer of 1993, I worked with Mr. Bailey on all of those cars
during various excursions: Columbus-Sandusky, Cincy-Knoxville and the
Independence Limited trip to the NRHS convention in Chicago. Learned A LOT
about passenger car maintenance and air conditioner units, how to operate
the power car, watering cars, and, my favorite, spending a hot summer day
deep in the yard at Calumet City inspecting roller bearings and spraying
the inspection data on the trucks.

Hate to hear about the Mardi Gras...I had hoped it would still be in use
for these trips.

The NS steam crew and Roanoke Chapter members were family, and they adopted
the somewhat awestruck college kid for the summer...it seems like a dream
now...

That was oh so many years ago now, and I spin the tales of these trips to
our kids...especially to our oldest who can't believe it all...sometimes I
can't either...

It will be wonderful to see 611 again and maybe reconnect to those memories.

My best,

Eric
(formerly of Ashville, Ohio, on the Columbus District)