Fwd: Fw: 611

Wed Jun 10 16:02:54 EDT 2015

I wrote the VMT and stated my concerns about the words "Spirit of Roanoke
on 611 and here is the response I got in return. Alan Cox

Mr. Cox,

Thank you for your feedback. We know that putting the "Spirit of Roanoke"
in small letters under the cab window has upset a lot of 611  fans.

The Roanoke City Council designated the Class J 611 as the "Spirit of
Roanoke" and the Class A 1218 as the "Pride of Roanoke" a long time ago. This
decision had the support of railroaders, community and business leaders and
the railroad.  Both of these locomotives  were owned by the City of Roanoke
from the early 1960s to 2012, when ownership  was transferred to the
Virginia Museum of Transportation.

In and around Roanoke, the locomotives represent the pride, ingenuity and
craftsmanship of the people who built these giants of steam. The Spirit of
Roanoke honors the laborers who engineered, designed, built and maintained
these superior locomotives in Roanoke's East End Shops.

The decision to add the Spirit of Roanoke under the cab window was made by
the City Council and the Board of Directors at the VMT. City, community and
 business leaders wanted to honor the thousands of railroaders who were the
 heart and soul of the Norfolk & Western operation.

Peg  McGuire
Director of  Communications

Virginia Museum of  Transportation

303 Norfolk Avenue  SW