Clinchfield RR wreck back in the teens

Sat Jun 13 11:00:56 EDT 2015

Jimmy,

Your neighbor can look through the ICC reports here:

http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Contents

These are listed by year; clicking on the year expands the file to show the various railroads for which an ICC report was done.

I have a copy of When Steam Ran the Clinchfield , by James A. Goforth, published in 1991.  It has photos of:

1906 - north of Forbes, NC, Engine 35.
1911 - Toe River Gorge, Engine 555
1917 - north of Bostic Yard; train 152 northbound head-on with southbound
1919 - SB coal train lost air from Unicoi to Erwin
1923 - head-on at Spruce Pine, NC, MP 181.5
1932 - "worst head-on collision;" 1.5 miles couth of Spruce Pine, NC; Engine 734 and 103
unknown date - 737 and 499, location unknown
1942 - Toe Rive Gorge, hit rock slide, Engines 413 and 407

The book mentions numerous wrecks in the Toe River Gorge; not sure if any of the above are covered by what is posted on the ICC site; not saying there wasn't a report, but the report may have been lost pre-internet.

Also, your neighbor may want to research any of the local newspapers which would probably have covered this type of accident.

Jim Brewer

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 3:57:29 PM
Subject: Clinchfield RR wreck back in the teens

I am trying to help a neighbor find some information on a train wreck on
the Clinchfield RR back somewhere around 1918 +/- and I have absolutely
no information on the CRR. He says the wreck happened near "Long Branch"
or Longbranch", just outside of a tunnel. This area is between Nora and
Trammel. He has the bell off of the locomotive involved and I would to
help him find out which loco it came from and maybe a picture of the
type, along with other information about the wreck. Is there anyone here
that may have access to this information?

Jimmy Lisle