611 Today and Beyond

Sun Jun 14 18:10:24 EDT 2015

Gentlemen, I was so glad to see Ed King's response to the 611 emails! I hardly ever respond to the remarks made back and forth on the nw-mailing-list. After weeks of folks voicing their opinions about what and what should not have been done during the 611's restoration I have something to say. My wife and I had the once in a lifetime {for us} opportunity to ride behind the 611 on her "Homecoming Excursion" from Lynchburg to Roanoke, Va. on Saturday May 30, 2015. It was an awesome experience that I never thought would be available to either of us or to this generation. My father was a signal maintainer for the N&W. I grew up in Roanoke in the late 50's when steam was still king. As a matter of fact I remember as very young child having to stand on a chair in the kitchen to see out the door glass to watch steam on the "Punkin' Vine". Needless to say, I have fond memories of N&W steam! I chased the 611 the last two days during her Lynchburg to Petersburg trips. My grandchildren got to experience the site of her in action yesterday for the first time! Let's say that they were impressed or maybe even startled! Ha! My son is a car host on the excursion from Lynchburg to Petersburg today. Thousands of little kids and even people in their 20's have never seen a main line steam locomotive in action! The estimate was that the 611 would be transporting nearly one thousand people per trip during this weekend's excursions! That's unheard of! If I was on that train I know that I would rather have a dual beam headlight than one! Ha! Come on fellow members, nobody at the VMT, the government of Roanoke, NCTM or NS betrayed you or butchered up the "Queen of Steam". We all should be thanking them for what they've accomplished along with many members of our own N&WHS, the Roanoke Chapter, NRHS and the Blue Ridge Chapter, NRHS out of Lynchburg. I'm sure that I've missed thanking others but not intentionally. We were never promised that she would be restored to her original 1950 appearance or features. It takes money to operate any train and it will continue to take money for her upkeep. If an engine shed is not built for her then the money that has been spent on her so far will be wasted. Merchandising and product recognition was the name of the game 60 years ago and still is today. If naming the 611 "The Spirit of Roanoke" will help guarantee her preservation then I don't see anything wrong with that. We all are very lucky to have her running on the high iron again! Regards, Norris DeyerleLynchburg, Va.