Sat. Shot

Mon Jun 29 12:09:20 EDT 2015

On 6/29/2015 9:52 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> I do not recall ever having seen red number boards on an engine.  Was
> this genuine Southern Ry practice for these engines like the 4501, or
> is it just a figment of "modern creative imagination"......?

(snip)

As I recall, the Southern did the paintwork on 1401 before shipping it
to DC.  Photo shows red number board and red inside the bell and
headlight visor.

http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/Southern_Railway_No._1401?file=Steam_locomotive.jpg

I suspect in operation the red got dirty fast.

Take care
Bill

--
==  Scale Model Railroad Products  ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Bill and Diane Wade

B.T.S.
1782 Trinity Rd
Belington, WV  26250-7621

Phone: 304-823-3729
FAX: 304-823-2901
http://www.btsrr.com

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas.