Empty (tare) weight of 611's Auxiliary Tender?

Thu Jul 9 10:16:50 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Dave wrote:

The J's were body-builders in a very stylish outfit!

I don't think enough credit and recognition goes to the skilled engineers
who designed N&W steam. These guys used slide rules, manual calculations,
and books of charts and tables to develop these very efficient machines.
They turned their designs over to a shop full of blue-collar workers (no
slight meant) who turned large pieces of iron and steel, various parts and
pieces, and hard work into operating equipment. I wonder if today, starting
from scratch and using all the technology available, if what they did in
the 1930s, 40s, and '50s could be recreated at the same level today. I'll
bet an efficient design could be developed, but do we have enough highly
skilled craftsmen (which is what the shop workers were) to build such a
design. Interesting what-if to ponder.

Bruce in Blacksburg