rights of trains

Tue Jul 14 09:15:03 EDT 2015

blah forgot copy/paste subject...here yah goes.
-Lynn-

Signals gave a new level of operation, but it doesn't kill the TT and
TO, it can supersede the orders of TT and TO, lose the signal (which
must be treated as stop (dark or red)
and call in for orders. Being early times before telephone (we did have
telegraph) if you didnt have a way to call in, 2 trains meeting would
have to use timetable/direction/train order to determine who has the
right of way.

I was told a story of 2 trains in Indiana, this was more recent, call it
about the mid-60's, somehow dead stopped on the main somewhere (they saw
each others headlights and stopped in time, the engineers got out and
had an arguement as to who was to back up to a siding and let them
pass....far as I know a real story.

having priorities rules stops situations like that.

South Shore had or still uses train orders, they may have the order go
out to start train on its run, without that the train will not run,  but
they have signals so they watch them, but obvious they have radio
contact with the dispatcher, should some incident occurs the train order
supersedes any signal with permission to pass a red.   Lose the signal,
lose the radio/lose the dispatcher you may have a rule to work with,
operate by sight at slow speed (never heard of that, just an example)
but theres always way to deal with circumstances.

-Lynn-