star yard

Tue Aug 4 09:37:30 EDT 2015

We lived at 1533 Chillicothe Street, Portsmouth, OH, in the late forties / early fifties. The old home site is now a parking lot for a Dairy Queen.

The old N&W rail yards were across an alley behind the house. Beyond the tracks were the dirt flood levees and some of the new concrete floodwalls that were then being built.
We used to play on the concrete forms for some of those flood walls. The excavation had wood shoring and massive beams we ran around on. Whew, what crazy days.

N&W stored old passenger cars on some of those yard tracks and we used to play and explore them. My Dad was a railway mail clerk on the Bluefield to Cincinnati run.
He would have worn us out if he had known we were getting on the construction site or the rail cars.

The Scioto river seemed to almost like being next to the ocean at that age.

It's a wonder you survived as a kid with all of those temptations to explore. We later moved to Bluefield.

Howard Leedy
Bluefield, WV