NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 124, Issue 11 -- Flood of 1937

Tue Aug 4 09:41:00 EDT 2015

1937 flood also prompted the floodwalls at Paducah. Flood waters got past the IC Paducah shops about 1.5 miles from the river.

Paducah keeps the stoplogs in a storage yard and inserts them as needed. Last time was 2011, water got to 55 ft which was the highest since the floodwalls were completed in 1949. (1937 was about 60 ft. Flood stage is 50 I think)

Paducah shops are almost as fascinating as Roanoke ;-). I have attended a couple programs at the local library. One gentleman told tales of being stranded there in 1937, and of making rafts from empty drums and wood to try and go for food, water and first aid supplies.

John Samples
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T