Class J Shoppings after Jan 1956

Fri Aug 7 10:33:40 EDT 2015

James

While I hate to say this, but I suspect that your father was misinformed. I seriously doubt that Norfolk was offered a J officially, perhaps someone locally said, "you should ask for one, they probably will give it to you." Not knowing the attitude in Roanoke, that would be easy to visualize.

Once Stuart Saunders took over the reins on April 1, 1958 as President, he seemed to have one major goal in mind, that was to make "his" railroad more modern and profitable, which would lead to him climbing the ladder to his dream job of running the Pennsylvania Railroad.

If you notice, donated steam locomotives of the N&W were few and far between, two G1 2-8-0s in 1955, prior to Saunders. A Y6a, 2156 to a "National" museum in St. Louis in 1959, a Class M, 433 to Abingdon and finally E2a 578 to Worthington, Ohio. and of course, most well known 611.

The others that were saved were more accidental. They had all been sold for scrap or stationary boiler use and then expected to be scrapped.

The price of scrap was apparently fairly high at the end of steam, and getting that cash flow back was a concern after spending all that money buying new diesel. Saunders apparently had no sentiment to steam, and wanted it gone. The little stuff that was old did not seem to bother him, they were also smaller, less valuable locomotives.

We have photos of Js at Portsmouth being weighed immediately prior to scrapping in August 1959. Those will appear in a revised Class J book at some point in the future if there is enough interest.

It was only with a grand effort on Graham Claytor's part, with Bob Claytor working in the background that the 611 escaped the scrapper.

Graham, then a lawyer in Washington DC, began a conversation with Saunders on the Appalachian Power trips in late August 1959 with 611 and continued his arguments to save the last J in correspondence with some outstanding points of the reasons to save the 611 over the next two months, finally, just days after the last trip on October 24, 1959, Saunders relented to Graham saying that the 611 would not be scrapped immediately. That eased the concern, but the occasional rumor of scrapping continued to surface until Saunders, probably wanting to stop hearing from fans about running the 611 again, decided in late May of 1962 to donate the 611 to Roanoke's forming Transportation Museum.

I doubt that Saunders wanted to give anything away in 1959, especially to anything online. Does anyone have an exact date as to when 433 was given to Abingdon? I'd love to know a bit more background on 2156s donation and how it was initiated, and who knew who to get something like it for St. Louis.

Ken Miller