Class J Shoppings after Jan 1956 - STUART SAUNDERS

Sat Aug 8 17:51:54 EDT 2015

Mike Weeks -

If you want to know about Saunders' business tactics and methods, read the book titled, No Way to Run a Railroad, by the noted historian Stephen Salsbury (New York: McGraw Hill, 1982,) ISBN 0070544832. You can get it InterLibrary-Loan, or you can purchase a copy off one of the on-line used book sites.

Salsbury writes the behind-the-scenes story of how Saunders repeatedly ordered his financial people to cook the books, because "the numbers" were only a means to an end for him. It is apparent that he, being a lawyer, never really understood corporate finance. A truly fascinating read, especially for people of my age who lived through those times, and wondered what was REALLY going on.

For anyone interested in Saunders, this is an indispensible source. I have been through my copy at least six time.

-- abram burnett