Numbers

Tue Aug 11 22:30:34 EDT 2015

I didn’t miss your point, but there’s another example of non-interchangibility that’s closer to home.

During WWII, the Rio Grande wanted six more of their Baldwin Challengers, among the most powerful of their type.  In its wisdom, the WPB and WAA denied the Rio Grande the Baldwins it wanted, but said they’d add six Challengers to the end of a group they were building for the UP, to the UP’s Jabelmann design like the 3985.

The Rio Grande took them, and as soon as traffic eased up after the war they turned them back to the War Assets Administration which put them up for sale.  The Clinchfield was looking for power, already had two classes of Challengers (the only ones with Baker Valve Gear and more powerful than the UP engines) and got them, supposedly, at a bargain price.

The “western” Challengers wouldn’t steam on Clinchfield’s coal.  They had steam failure after steam failure, and finally they put them through the shops at Erwin and redesigned the front ends, throwing away the double smokestacks and double exhaust nozzles, replacing them with a single nozzle and stack.  It was also necessary to replace the grates.  After this, they evidently steamed well on Clinchfield’s fuel.

But the Centipede tenders were never satisfactory.  At several points, it was necessary to turn the engines on wye tracks, and it was found necessary to put new crossties and gauge rods in the far leg of all the wyes (that’s the leg you always have to back around).  Those tenders wanted to straighten out all the wyes.

When the 3985 was brought down to the Clinchfield, it evidently had already converted to oil so steaming wasn’t a problem, but I’m wondering how they got the thing turned around . . .

EdKing