Numbers

Wed Aug 12 10:40:57 EDT 2015

They could not turn 3985 on the Kingsport wye - had to back it all the way to Kentucky.
Jim Nichols

 I didn’t miss your point, but there’s another exampleof non-interchangibility that’s closer to home. During WWII, the Rio Grande wanted six more of theirBaldwin Challengers, among the most powerful of their type.  In its wisdom,the WPB and WAA denied the Rio Grande the Baldwins it wanted, but said they’dadd six Challengers to the end of a group they were building for the UP, to theUP’s Jabelmann design like the 3985. The Rio Grande took them, and as soon as traffic easedup after the war they turned them back to the War Assets Administration whichput them up for sale.  The Clinchfield was looking for power, already hadtwo classes of Challengers (the only ones with Baker Valve Gear and morepowerful than the UP engines) and got them, supposedly, at a bargainprice. The “western” Challengers wouldn’t steam onClinchfield’s coal.  They had steam failure after steam failure, andfinally they put them through the shops at Erwin and redesigned the front ends,throwing away the double smokestacks and double exhaust nozzles, replacing themwith a single nozzle and stack.  It was also necessary to replace the grates.  After this, they evidently steamed well on Clinchfield’sfuel. But the Centipede tenders were neversatisfactory.  At several points, it was necessary to turn the engines onwye tracks, and it was found necessary to put new crossties and gauge rods inthe far leg of all the wyes (that’s the leg you always have to backaround).  Those tenders wanted to straighten out all the wyes.  When the 3985 was brought down to the Clinchfield, itevidently had already converted to oil so steaming wasn’t a problem, but I’mwondering how they got the thing turned around . . . EdKing   From: NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-ListSent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:40 PMTo: NW Mailing List Cc: NW Mailing List Subject: Re: Numbers Ed, I guess you missed my basic point thatall the engines discussed were good at what they did but were notinterchangeable. Statistics aside, you couldn't take an A, Y-6 or J and use themon any other railroad and get the same results. Same going the other way. Thatwas my point. They were not GP-9s or RS-11s that performed almost identically onany railroad in similar service. Steam was built for specific purposes onspecific railroads and generally not interchangeable. Definitely no argument that the Roanokedesigners and engineers were more than equal to the task of turning out supremesteam.
 Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works