Powhatan Arrow

Sat Aug 15 23:17:57 EDT 2015

Charles:

I would take Jim's info as much more reliable than what I related; mine was
 taken from published literature, while Jim's I know to be from first-hand
observation, and I would definitely defer to what he's given.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 8/15/2015 10:16:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

>From about 1951 to 1956, those five cars  would have been the normal
consist, as follows: either 501 or 502, vestibule  at back, 511 or 512, vestibule
at back, a 531 series coach, vestibule probably  to front, diner, with
kitchen in either direction, observation car. From late  1949 to about 1951,
there were 7 cars (2 extra 531 series coaches) and the  diner was closer to the
center of the train. About 1951, due to poor  ridership, the consist was
reduced to 5 cars and the diner was placed next to  the observation, which
served food and drink in its tavern lounge. In 1956,  the 501 and 502 were
replaced by rebuilt heavyweight combines and they were  rebuilt into full
coaches. In 1958 the observations were taken  off.

Jim Nichols

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:04 PM, NW  Mailing List
<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

I am a retired railroader living in Phoenix. I have  a HO Broadway
Limited class J Locomotive and a set of Mikes Train House  Powhatan Arrow
cars. As I model as correctly as possible, I would like  information on
the exact consist of the Powhatan Arrow. All passenger  trains that I
know anything about had a message that said the order of the  cars and
which way the vestibule faced (front or back). Also which way the  diner
faced, Kitchen front or back. Which way the Jim Crow section faced.
Where was the Jim Crow placed in the consist. The set I have has 5 cars
and as far as I can tell they are correct in every way. On most long
distance passenger trains the kitchen was closest to the coaches. They
did not want the first passengers walking through the kitchen hallway,
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your  consideration.
Charles V  Weart

To  change your subscription go  to
Browse the  NW-Mailing-List archives  at