Builders Plates

Sun Aug 16 12:12:31 EDT 2015

Ron

In my files, I finally found a copy of a paper presented by T. Boggess of the Norfolk and Western, probably about 1944, with photos accompanying, In the description of photo 1, a class J. It lists the following as Chromium Plated:
Hand rails and brackets
Marker lights
Number plate frames
Gauges
Brake Valve Handles
Headlight rims
Builder and Classification plates.

Further, in a separate document, it goes into a more detailed list of items plated, which this is excerpted:

Chromium plate of Nickel Plate:
Builder's plate (Class J and J1 locomotives?

Hopefully, these will confirm what I said about the plates.
Best
Ken