Them Ol' Steem injines

Wed Aug 19 17:34:55 EDT 2015

The Y3's sold to the Pennsy also had 18k tenders. Apparently, N&W thought better of this later. Subsequent Y's sold later had only 16k tenders. The rest of the 18k's stayed on the N&W. The bridgepipe low pressure engines, by the way, had originally been on the Y5's as built. When the Y5's got cast steel frames,  frugal N&W reused their old front engines on selected Y3's and Y4's.(probably the rear ones too, but we have no spotting feature for this.)
Jim Nichols

 Jimmy,

I have no thoughts on these except an older Y with a bridgepipe could have
been a little better.  In interviews when I asked was there any thought
about using new valve travel on the older classes, the answers were always
no.  As explained, the older classes were used in slow work and having a max
DBHP at 15 MPH was satisfactory.  If a bridgepipe was applied it may have
made a couple MPH difference but no more.

N&W must have thought this since three Y-3's with bridgepipes were sold
during WWII to the UP and PRR.  Photographs show that the reminding
bridgepipes were applied to Y-3, Y-3a and Y-4 classes.  What was significant
was that the older Y's got 270 PSI boiler pressure and this resulted in the
starting tractive effort being 90 percent of the Y-5/Y-6's.

Bud Jeffries