Gray Station, Mingo County, WV

Sat Aug 22 14:03:06 EDT 2015

Claude,

As Jim said, Gray was later called Lindsey.  Gray was the engine and crew
change point between the Pocahontas and Scioto divisions until 1900.  The
annual report lists Gray being 260.96 miles from Columbus and 80.60 miles
from Bluefield on the main line in 1900.  In 1901 the main line is listed as
235.96 miles between Williamson and Columbus, and 105.60 miles between
Bluefield and Williamson.  Gray is not listed in 1901.

The terminal change occurred between July 1st, 1900 and June 30th, 1901, the
time covered in the 1901 report.  So the division point was moved 25 miles
west from Gray to Williamson probably to better balance train movement
lengths.  During this time, numerous changes were being made to increase
efficiency of operations throughout the railway's system because of coal
traffic.

Bud Jeffries