[Spam] RE: The Pocahontas Image

Wed Sep 23 22:51:43 EDT 2015

Well, it would not be 9, as it is going in the wrong direction. I used to ride 7 from Farmville to Roanoke 1952-1956, and it was always pulled by a K2. I do know that 23 & 24 got J's after the 611-613 were built, but I did not have occasion to observe 9 & 10. And I have to take back what I said about an M1's position in the train. After looking at some photos, it appears most often next to the first coach. (Never say "never!") The fly in the ointment is that car behind the Pg. We can only see the tip of it, but it looks to be a streamlined car. So maybe this is the Pocahontas? Who can be sure?
Jim Nichols

 Jim, After the last J’s were built in 1950, I only saw J’s powering 9 and 10.  My observation is corroborated by the 9/1/54 assignment chart that shows that the J’s were assigned to them then.  I think that this J-train in the photo could possibly have been 9 or 10, too. Bud Jeffries From: NW Mailing List Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:38 AMTo: NW Mailing List Subject: Re: [Spam] RE: The Pocahontas Image That is not a BMf in the shadow of the bridge. Looks like a Pg. Besides, the RPO on #4 would be the first car behind the engine, and it should have been an M1. Apparently the M1 came off at Roanoke and was replaced by a BMf, but photos imply that this was not always the case. I still think it looks like #24. 9 and 10 generally ran behind a K2.
Jim Nichols

The timetable I have closest to the date is October 1953.  This is not train
46, The Tennessean which was due Roanoke 2:02 pm.  The consist does not
match.  Train 9 would arrive 5:40 pm.  The Pocahontas was due 11:05 am.  The
photo  looks like the eastbound Pocahontas in that time frame which was
heavy with headend cars arriving Roanoke.  Is the car in the shadow of the
bridge a BMf postal-baggage? The Pocahontas acquired a M1 full length RPO
after 1954.  I could not find a listing for trains 23 & 24 in my timetable.

For a photo of the eastbound Pocohontas in 1954 see page 36 "Norfolk &
Western Passenger Service 1946-1971" by Warden, revised by Ken Miller.

For a photo of the Tennessean in this time frame:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=300917&skip=2

--Rick Morrison