Pocahontas consist Q & A

Sat Sep 26 10:47:20 EDT 2015

To answer Ray's question about how mail and express cars which came east on N&W train 4 returned west: Number 3 ran with only the BMf car Norfolk to Roanoke.  In Roanoke, two more express and storage mail cars destined for Cincinnati were picked up.  One of these came from Petersburg on local train 7.  At Portsmouth train 3 picked up three more head end cars, two from Greensboro and one Washington-Cincinnati car (all from Southern Ry).  These cars were forwarded west in local train 23.  The Washington-Cincinnti car came off The Tennessean at Roanoke along with a New York-Roanoke car!  To complicate matters, not all these headend cars operated every day of the week.  The Washington-Cincinnati car ran only on Saturday.  After the demise of the N&W locals, what was left of the interline mail and express business moved to the name trains. Jim is correct that prior to the 1960's you did not see box express cars running on most N&W trains, but you did on the Southern run throughs. The term express car does not necessarily mean "box express." The mail and express cars on the Tennessean operated to and from Chattanooga except for the baggage-coach combine running on to the train's Memphis destination.

The Pocahontas had a heavier eastbound consist than westbound.  The consist sheets show 15 cars between Williamson and Roanoke on Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sunday.  So yes, a J had the capability to handle so large a consist.  The best photo of this is in Norfolk and Western Passenger Service 1946-71 by Warden and Ken Miller, page 36. Fourteen cars, and 6 of them are heavyweights.

Who says passenger train operation and modeling isn't interesting?

--Rick Morrison