Whistle Signal

Fri Oct 2 11:36:23 EDT 2015

Skip: Now that I think about it, it probably was ONE long and two shorts. I can remember the J on 16 blowing green as it left the Bluefield station.
Jim Nichols

 According to my 1898 N&W Operating Rule book, the signal was one long
followed by two short.  The engineer must hear the response for the train on
the siding, which was two short blast.  If he did not hear the response he
had to stop immediately.

My 1951 rule book has the same signal.

Skip Sledge
Have a nice day - it is much better than a bad one!

?Blowing green -I seem to remember it being two longs and two shorts. But
we're talking about 60 years ago, so I could be remembering wrong.
Jim Nichols

    On Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:27 PM, NW Mailing List