Thu Oct 8 08:41:06 EDT 2015

Last night I had the honor of "Taking Twenty" with six of the Brethren and
Friends of the Virginian Railway.  We signed a Happy Birthday card for one
of the last Virginian Railway engineers who actually shoveled coal  into a
VGN RWY steam engine firebox and also ran steam and VGN diesels, Raymond
East.  Raymond celebrated his ninety-first birthday yesterday!  He is also
a US veteran of combat during the Korean War and truly a real hero.

 I gratefully thank all of you for your prayers, email, and cards of
condolences during the last two weeks. Let me urge all of you to spend more
time with your family members and tell them you love them....

 The ebay report this time includes the following VGN items sold:  VGN
switch lock key $99.99; another VGN switch lock key $76.75; 1928 broadside
advertisement for Decoration Day excursion from Roanoke to Norfolk $35.00;
Virginian Railway Safety First metal sign $1,301.25, VGN Trainman button
$52.00 and a VGN Lima-Hamilton paper weight showing an Allegheny loco for
$49.99.

 The Jewel from the Past like those in a 21  jeweled South Bend model 229,
"The Studebaker" 10K RR approved, Montgomery Dial, three barrel movement is
from October 30, 2008:  "Bill Turner told about being hired on the VGN
after returning from his Korean War tour in 1957.  He was on furlough from
the 'W' before the War and when asked if he had any rail experience, he
explained to the clerk about his work on the N&W Maintenance of Way Gang in
great detail.  Bill said the clerk 'looked like a calf staring at a new
gate'.  He was hired on the spot.

 For Show and Tell I took a Roanoke Times "Discover History & Heritage Born
on the Rails" magazine recently mailed with the Sunday paper.  This
interesting photo and article magazine covers the era to discover from 1875
to 1900 in the Roanoke Valley.  Unfortunately it was BEFORE HHR got his
line to town.

 We discussed the possible discontinuing of coal traffic across Clark's Gap
on the old Virginian main line from Elmore to Princeton.  The Brethren,
though saddened, all agreed that with coal being pushed aside for natural
gas and other forms of energy, it was just a matter of time before this
happened.

 Then there's this:  My oldest son Scott attended the session last night
and shared the following:  A young Arkie goes off to college.  Half way
through the semester, foolishly squandered all of his money on his
girlfriend, he calls home.  "Dad", he says "You won't believe what modern
education is developing!  They actually have a program here that will teach
our dog, Blue how to talk!"  "Just  send him over here with $1,000 and I'll
get him in the course.  His dad sends the money and Blue.  About two-thirds
of the way through the semester, the money again runs out.  The boy calls
home.  "So how's Ole blue doing son?"  his father asks.  "Awsome, Dad, he's
talking up a storm, but you just won't believe this ...they've had such
good results they have started to teach the animals how to read!"  "Ho do
we get Blue in that program?" his Dad asked.  Just send $2.500, and I'll
get him in the class".  The money promptly arrives.  The Arkie and his
girlfriend are able to buy enough marijuana to last the whole semester.  He
realizes he must come up with a story to tell his Dad about why Blue can
neither talk nor read.  He arrives back at home at the end of school and
his father asks "Where's Ole Blue?"  "Dad I have some grim news.  Yesterday
morning, just before we left to drive home, Ole Blue was in the living
room, kicked back in the recliner, reading the Wall Street Journal, like he
usually does.  Then he turned to me and asked, so, is your Daddy still
messing around with that little redhead who lives down the road?  "I had to
shoot him!.

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon