Fwd: [NSInfo] Norfolk Southern announces service changes in response to upcoming Positive Train Control deadline

Wed Oct 21 09:58:03 EDT 2015

From: NSInfo[mailto:nsinfo-bounces at nscorp.com] On BehalfOf Norfolk Southern News
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 20154:28 PM
To: 'nsinfo at nscorp.com'
Subject: [NSInfo] Norfolk Southern announces service changes inresponse to upcoming Positive Train Control deadline

Norfolk Southern announces service changes in response to upcoming PositiveTrain Control deadline

NORFOLK,Va., Oct. 20, 2015 – Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC)today said its rail operating subsidiaries will no longer accept shipments ofPoisonous-Inhalation-Hazard commodities, effective Dec. 1, 2015.  PIHcommodities in transit on Dec. 1 will be delivered to destination by Dec. 31.Additionally, passenger and commuter trains operated by Amtrak, VirginiaRailway Express, and Metra will be prohibited by law from operating on NS afterDec. 31.

The cessation ofservice – effective across the entire NS rail network – is requiredto comply with federal safety laws that become effective after Dec. 31, thegovernment’s deadline for installation of PTC. Despite investment ofnearly $1 billion to date, NS will not meet the deadline.

Thestatus of non-PIH traffic interchanged with other railroads and freightoperations on the Northeast Corridor after Dec. 31 is currently under review.

“We remainhopeful that Congress will grant the railroad industry an extension of the PTCdeadline and appreciate the consideration elected officials and regulators aregiving this issue,” said James A. Squires, Norfolk Southern chairman, president and CEO.“However, in order to conduct lawful operations on Jan. 1, 2016, andbeyond, we must plan ahead to clear affected loaded and empty freight cars fromour system.

“Norfolk Southernsincerely regrets the inconvenience that customers, passengers, and commuterswill experience,” Squires said. “Our strong hope is that Congresswill act quickly and decisively to allow us to restore full access to our railnetwork.”

Squires notedthat NS is installing PTC on the required lines and equipment as fast as issafe and practical. “PTC is one of the most complex technologyimplementations in our history,” he said. “It is ineveryone’s interest – railroads, customers, suppliers, andcommunities – that adequate time is devoted to installation, testing, andimplementation. NorfolkSouthern is committed to getting this right.”

About Norfolk Southern
NorfolkSouthern Corporation(NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. ItsNorfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia,serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and providesefficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensiveintermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive,and industrial products.

Media Inquiries:

Frank Brown, 757-629-2710(fsbrown at nscorp.com)

InvestorInquiries:

Katie Cook, 757-629-2861(InvestorRelations at nscorp.com)