NOB (Naval Operations Base)

Thu Oct 29 09:58:32 EDT 2015

Bill:
What ever gave you the idea that CSX might screw NS ?  I am
appalled.

Pre-1982, N&W proposed running unit trains to Dominion's
Wheelwright plant on the former SAL's Hopewell Branch.
This would have offered Dominion competitive rates. N&W
trains would have used about 12 miles of CSX tracks.  But
CSX responded that there was too much traffic on this
non-signaled branch (two local freights per day) to accommodate
N&W.

OK, how about an arrangement where N&W trains got
on CSX at Secoast and traveled to Wheelwright from
Bellwood ?  That's when Dominion said "forget it".

In 1980, the rates charged for rail shipments no longer
were available for public scrutiny.The charge was considered
a contract between the shipper (or receiver) and the railroad.
Two years deep into a 10-year contract, CSX determined that
they weren't making any money hauling coal for Dominion.
So John Snow got up with his golfing buddy, the CEO of
Dominion, and Snow persuaded him to abolish the contract.
None of this would have become public, but one of Dominion's
traffic people spilled the beans (and was fired).  Dominion
was forced to pay its customers a rebate.\

Fayetteville ?  I was agent there for two days in Oct., 1964.
"Captain Midnight", the grumpy old 3rd trick dispatcher , called
me at 3:00 AM and told me to be at Fayetteville at 8:00 AM.
It was 165 miles to Fayetteville, I had a full tank of gas, $15
to spend, and a Phillips 66 credit card.  In an attempt to dodge
this assignment, I told him that I didn't have any seniority on\
the Western District.  His response ?  "You do now". H. Bundy