N&W Purchase of Used Engines & Tenders

Mon Nov 9 13:48:11 EST 2015

This  interests me as my layout has a N&W W2, Y6b no 2200 and an ACL R-1.
This dates me to 1953, W2s scrapped by then, 2200 built then and R-1s
scrapped then tenders bought  by the N&W.  My excuse is that the R-1 is on
its way to scrap, but it's tender has not yet been removed by the N&W.  It
would be interesting to know the true story.

Richard Hood
Abrum I recall some AFE's in the Archives several years ago. Some history
on the purchases might lurk there.  Cal Reynolds.

*Sent:* Monday, November 09, 2015 8:58 AM
*Subject:* Re: N&W Purchase of Used Engines & Tenders

No documentation, but I do remember seeing a C&O 0-8-0  come through
Bluefield while being loaned by the C&O for N&W to test, prior to the
decision to buy all 30 of them. So I assume that C&O approached N&W to
propose the sale, since C&O was buying diesel switchers.

Jim Nichols

On Monday, November 9, 2015 7:47 AM, NW Mailing List <