Thu Nov 19 07:43:05 EST 2015

Last night I had the honor of "Takin' Twenty" with seven of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Most of the discussion was about the
recent talks relating to the Canadian Pacific-Norfolk Southern situation. I
took a new logo that is circulating on the internet showing a new brand
with the current NS horse replaced with a beaver and "Calgary Southern and
CS" with "The beaverhorse of transportation, eh?".  Yesterday NS stock
closed at $92.49 per share, up 6.4% after a letter was released from CP
offering NS stockholders $46.72 in cash and 0.348 share of the new company
for each share of NS stock.  Several comments overheard:  New slogan:
"Leave it to Beaver".  "New Route of the wooden wheels" and my favorite "it
will avoid Chicago".  HHR would love this!!!

 I got the "proposed new logo" last Thursday at the N&W (and VGN)
Historical Society Archives work day when a Design Engineer from NS was
researching for  the proposed Amtrak loading dock and train parking siding
in downtown Roanoke for Amtrak's return.  We provided him with Clarence
diagrams for the N&W J-Class #611 in anticipation of her being used in
future passenger trains into Roanoke...

 Also for Show and Tell Landon brought an article from the Victoria, VA
newspaper "Southside Messenger" showing a photo of former Virginian Railway
employees posing in front of the new Telegraph and Track maintenance
building now in the Victoria Rail Park.  It was taken at the October 31,
2015 Reunion in Victoria of former VGN employees.  Are there any beavers in
Nutbush?

 The Jewel from the Past is from November 19, 2008:  "I showed the Brethren
several photos of the original Princeton Passenger Station before it was
torn down and replaced with the current Museum. Bob Rowland remembered as a
boy visiting the Station with his Grandmother, who was known by locals in
Princeton as "Aunt Kate".  He told us about "Aunt Kate" winning a Princeton
Wood Chopping Contest against men and boys.  The prize was a brand new
double-edged axe.  Bob tried it out 70 years ago as a ten year old, and
when he raised it to chop a piece of firewood, he struck himself in the
head with the handle.  He showed us a mark on his head to prove it!"

 Then there's this:  A private 757 arrives at Heathrow International
Airport and Donald Trump strides to a waiting limousine which drives him to
a warm and dignified reception from the Queen.  From there, they are driven
in a 1934 Bentley to the edge of central London where they change to a
magnificent 17th century carriage hitched to six white horses.  They
continue on towards Buckingham Palace waving to the thousands of cheering
Britons; all is going well.  Suddenly, the right rear horse lets fly with
the most horrendous earth-shattering wind-breaking ever heard in the
British Empire.  It shook the coach.  The smell is atrocious!  The Queen
uses a perfume-dipped handkerchief over her nose, and the two do their best
to ignore the incident.  The Queen turns to the Donald saying, "Mr. Trump,
please accept my regrets.  I am sure you understand there are some things
that even a Queen cannot control."  Trump, with his usual diplomatic
aplomb, replied, "Your Majesty, do not give the matter another thought.
Until you mentioned it, I thought it was one of the horses."

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DLXXXII