Fri Dec 4 11:46:58 EST 2015

Always like reading about the "brethren" - - -  Ron H

 Last night I had the honor of "Takin' Twenty" with five of the Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway.  I told the Brethren not to forget to come join us at the Virginia Museum of Transportation this Saturday and Sunday to welcome Santa by train.  We will furnish a former Powhatan Arrow coach and two red N&W cabooses for rides, both days.  Come and bring your children and grandchildren and get a picture of Santa and the train.  Details on the VMT web site.

 I told the Brethren since the famous AEP coal fired power plant is being taken out of service at Glen Lyn, VA, one of the locomotives used to switch out coal cars there, may be headed to the Virginia Museum of Transportation, for display.  This plant was served by the Virginian Railway for many years and still has evidence of the VGN unloading facilities.  More on this later.

 The Jewel from the Past, like those in a Peoria Duber case size 18, 15-jewel lever set, full plate "for railway service" is from November 19, 2008:  "Someone mentioned how cold it has been lately, and watching their grandchildren wait in the cold for their school busses.  Scotty said he remembers school and that he stayed in the first grade for so long, the teacher brought HIM apples.  Cornbread Victory said he had a friend in Tennessee who never graduated from high school, even though he was there for only two terms, 'Truman's and Eisenhower's".

 For Show and Tell I took the latest Roanoke Chapter NRHS "Turntable Times".  This issue has my photo of the VGN Heritage unit 1069 "posing" by the VGN Station under the Walnut Ave. Bridge on the cover.  Also it features photos from the 1950s when Santa rode into Roanoke on the Powhatan Arrow.  Also included is a spoof ot he Norfolk Southern-Canadian Pacific logo and a great article about the Chapter's picnic at Apple Ridge Farms in Copper Hill, VA.  Apple Ridge Farm is a camp for underprivileged children run by Chapter member Peter Lewis.  He has established, with the help of the Roanoke Chapter, the Apple Ridge Railroad, a collection of cars and cabooses on rail.  This in now the first and only railroad in Floyd County, VA.  I also took a Will Jordan 11-19-15 photo from railpictures.com, showing the Virginian Heritage 1069 crossing a trestle at Clemson, SC.

 I passed on to the Brethren about the Motive Power Building in downtown Roanoke now being the main office complex for the railway in our fair city.  I worked there first in 1964 in the basement shop of the Coach Yard as an Electrician Apprentice and my main job was to "test the cookies" on #4 each day.  I returned in 1968 and 1969 to work in the Locomotive Design Office of this now headquarters building....

 Then there's this:  As we Silver Surfers know, sometimes we have trouble with our computers.  Yesterday, I had a problem, so I called Georgie, the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom books like Mission Control, and asked him to come over.  Georgie clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.  As he was walking away, I called after,  "So what was wrong?"  He replied, "It was an ID ten T error."  I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, "An ID ten T error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again."  Gorogie grinned: "Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?" "No", I replied.  "Write it down, he said and I think you'll figure it out.  So I wrote down :ID10T

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DLXXXIV