K locomotives on the N&W main line

Sun Dec 6 22:24:05 EST 2015

Ks's were used on all locals on the mainline, including 23 & 24 up until the last 3 J's were built. After that 23 & 24 got J's, but the divisional locals still had K's, although there were fewer locals west of Bluefield by then.
Jim Nichols

 Hello, all

Other than the K engines that ran between Norfolk and Richmond Broad Street, how often were K locomotives used in passenger service elsewhere on the main line?  I had the impression that J-class locomotives were used and that K engines were relegated to branch lines to Durham, Winston-Salem, Hagerstown, and elsewhere.  I have attached a picture of N&W 124 at Farmville, unknown year.

Happy holidays to all,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com