Canadian Pacific Revises Offer for Norfolk Southern - NYTimes.com

Tue Dec 8 23:25:18 EST 2015

I own both NS and CP stock…..and CN, G&W, and CSX.

The only thing that CP seems to do better than NS is have a lower operating ratio.  While Operating Ratio is a very important metric it is not the only metric.  CP isn’t close to being as good a corporation as NS is in many other critical measures.  NS is a far better investment for those that understand shareholders value, not short term profit, which is the proper objective of good management.  Hunter Harrison did wonders rebuilding wrecks (IC, CN, CP) but what he did with these far less complex broken properties does not apply to NS.  (I bought a bunch of CP when Harrison took over and he’s done wonders building its value)  I like the value of my CP and NS stocks individually……but they do not need to become a single company….if it were to occur it would be very destructive for NS shareholders and customers alike.  We do not need a CP-NS merger.

Ed Painter, Narrows, VA….. living in North Georgia