Looking for 611 trip route input

Mon Jan 11 22:58:43 EST 2016

I have a good friend who sent me a note inquiring about the trips the 611 should be taking later this spring. I sent him a few personal opinons on which trips I thought were the best and why -- those "Home State" opinions follow below after >>> marks.

Also, I want to ask this list for some information about the Greensboro-Roanoke routing. In my suggestions below, I made note that there were three feasible routes Norfolk Southern could allow the 611 to travel between Greensboro and Roanoke.

1 - Greensboro, Altavista, Roanoke, and return.
2 - Greensboro, Lynchburg, Roanoke, and return.
Note: The east and westbound legs could be swapped on each run.
3 - Greensboro, Winston Salem, Roanoke, return via either Lynchburg or Altavista, to Greensboro -- a circle trip and a route that would provide the most non-repeat scenery.

Here follows what I sent to my friend and I'm curious if I have the general layout correct and I'm also curious if anyone knows what will be the Greensboro-Roanoke routing.

>>> Considering all of the trips and the pros and cons of each, in my opinion the best trip on which to either ride or chase is the Spencer to Asheville and return trip. The scenery should be colorful with loads of spring flowers and the climbing of the Southern Loops is a knockout ... you will love it! Sit on the RIGHT side!

>>> My second choice for "best trip" is the run from Greensboro to Roanoke and back to Greensboro, BUT ONLY if they do it via two different routes -- a circle trip -- which is both feasible and possible.

>>> Actually, there are three Roanoke-Greensboro routes over which Norfolk Southern could allow the excursions to travel. All of them have been used before by the 611 and all of them are in full service today.

>>> Route #1 - I am guessing that this is the most likely routing that Norfolk Southern will choose: Depart Greensboro travel north to Altavista, switch off west to the old Virginian line, and then travel west into Roanoke. The trip could return to Greensboro on the same route.

>>> Route #2 - My guess for the second preferred NS route is as follows: Greensboro north to Lynchburg (which is north of Altavista) turning west and traveling to Roanoke. The trip could return to Greensboro along the same route.

>>> Note: Routes number one and number two are similar in that they depart Greensboro in the same northbound fashion and both take a left turn to go west to Roanoke. The railroad could very easily allow your train to go north, turn left at Altavista and from Roanoke return via Lynchburg and then back to Greensboro (or, just the opposite routing).

>>> Route #3 - This one would be my favorite route and could easily operate in either of two directions: Depart Greensboro westbound on the old Southern Railway line to Winston Salem where (after the J spins its wheels a bit right behind Krispy Kreme HQ) you jump over to the old N&W and go north to Roanoke. Then from Roanoke you would come back to Greensboro either via Lynchburg or Altavista. I love this circle trip and would have no preference for which of the two directions it went ... clockwise or counterclockwise.

Back to my comments to the N&W list… I appreciate any input on this and especially if anyone knows the route they will take from Greensboro back-and-forth to Roanoke.

Also I told my friend that I was guessing that the Spencer-Charlottesville round trip would have the highest average train speed. No?

Merger headaches and all, I'm tickled that Norfolk Southern is proceeding with 611 excursions and I look forward to a great year behind this magnificent J locomotive. The best to you all and the best of trips… Bob

Here follows the 611 schedule for those who do not have it:

Saturday and Sunday trips during the months of April,  May, and June.

The Virginian
April 9 - Spencer to Lynchburg

Blue Ridge Special
‪April 10 - Spencer to Asheville‬

The Roanoker
‪Apr 23-Greensboro to Roanoke‬

The Roanoker
‪Apr 24-Greensboro Roanoke‬

Powhatan Arrow
‪May 7 - Roanoke to Lynchburg, AM Run ‬

The Pelican
‪May 7 - Roanoke to Walton, PM Run‬

Powhatan Arrow
‪May 8 - Roanoke, Lynchburg, AM Run‬

The Pelican
‪May 8 - Roanoke to Walton, PM Run ‬

The American
‪June 4 – Manassas to Front Royal‬

The American
‪June 5 - Manassas to Front Royal (2 round trips)‬
Bob Loehne
7028 Tallent Court
Sherrills Ford, NC 28673
980-613-9046