Station Ushers ?

Wed Jan 13 11:11:45 EST 2016

There seem to be many "gaps in knowledge" of N&W practices, even though they are not in the far-distant past.

Among them are the procedures and processes for N&W Baggage Masters, Train Porters and Station Ushers.

So, let me begin with Ushers. How many stations, other than Roanoke, used Station Ushers?

To whom did the Ushers "report"?  That is, who hired them?  Who took care of their assignments, handled their payroll, scheduled their vacation, filled their vacancies, ordered their uniforms and any needed supplies, and handled their discipline (should it be needed) ? Was there a seniority roster for Ushers? Was their seniority division-specific or location-specific? From what craft did Ushers come?  If an Usher were furloughed, what jobs were available for him to "bump"?

And finally, has anyone done a bio on the well-known "Buck" Stewart, the daylight Usher at the Roanoke station?

Mutatis mutandis, the same questions can be asked about N&W Train Porters and Baggage Masters.  But later, after we get clear on Ushers.

Sorry for the very anachronistic questions. Modern stuff just incites no interest. And besides, some of us "live in the past," you know...

-- abram burnett,
advocate-at-large for anachronismiticity