Tug Fork Operations

Mon Jan 18 16:27:06 EST 2016

Re: Engine direction/position in Tug Fork Branch movements, 1950-52

Generally...

Locomotives were dispatched facing upgrade when lacking the means and
advantage to turn during the run.

1st Tug worked USS #6 and #9 (Filbert) up Sand Lick. 2nd Tug worked USS
#13 on the way to #14 (Munson) up South Fork. Using 2000's, they pulled
up the branches delivering empties, ran around, backed down with loads
behind, ran around on the Tug Fork main below Gary, pulled up Sand Lick,
then backed into the cleaning plant.

3rd Tug (aka Anawalt Mine Run) worked non-USS tipples up North Fork.
Using a 2000 on the head end and a 1400 on the rear, it delivered or set
off empties on the way up, mostly for Nassau and Page. It stopped at the
junction with Ballard Harman Spur, cut so many empties ahead of the
1400, it would shove up the spur to a switchback, then pulled up the
hill to deliver Jenkinjones #8. The 2000 pulled forward up the North
Fork with the remaining empties to a switchback, then shoved back up the
hill to deliver Jenkinjones #7. Both crews pulled loads, the 1400 backed
down the spur onto the North Fork with #8 loads behind, the 2000 crew
backed down from #7 with loads ahead and coupled the train together. All
backed down to Anawalt, turned on the wye, and proceeded forward down to
Wilcoe Yard, collecting loads along the way.

4th Tug worked Havaco, the Main Line west to Mohegan and east to
Superior after Eckman closed. It departed Wilcoe Yard with a 2000 (in
reverse) and empties only for Havaco which was on a trailing-point spur.
Loads were set off at Tug Storage if Farm was full/congested or if
orders were to first head east (light with locomotive running forward).
In either direction, usually main line tipples were worked with empties
from the nearest storage tracks where loads were then set off. It pulled
any Tug Fork freight setoffs at Hemphill and returned to Wilcoe Yard.

5th and 6th Tug were night jobs that worked much like 1st and 2nd. Any
Tug job might help work the cleaning plant. Empty deliveries and loads
back and forth between the cleaning plant and Wilcoe Yard were handled
from the uphill (timetable west) end. Loads were pulled from the outlet
tracks directly into Wilcoe Yard.

The Tug River Local worked east from Williamson three times a week to
Wilcoe Yard. It pulled in with an 1100, turned, took their rest, and
pulled out the next day.

Tug River Pool crews came east from Williamson with empties and a 2100,
but sometimes stopped at Mohegan, traffic permitting, to wye the
locomotive and pull in reverse to Wilcoe. The Wilcoe table had been
taken out of service and turning on the Gary wye was not easy with the
distance past the yard, hand-thrown switches, and mine crews everywhere.
They took their rest and returned with west loads, pulling forward
(doubling over however many times) out of Wilcoe Yard.

Elkhorn Pool crews with empties and a 2100 from Bluefield also had to
consider where to turn, plus the switchback move at Tug. Depending on
conditions, they would either hold a main or clear up in the middle
track at Farm and then had three options: cut off, wye at Mohegan, run
around their train, and pull forward up to Wilcoe; cut off, run around,
and pull in reverse to Wilcoe; or simply shove in reverse to Wilcoe.

The return trip with east loads to Bluefield, plus a Pocahontas Pusher,
had three similar options: they would pull forward out of Wilcoe down to
Farm, cut off, wye at Mohegan, run around while the pusher got on the
rear, and head east; pull in reverse out of Wilcoe Yard, run around at
Farm while the pusher got on; or have the pusher get on at Wilcoe, all
reverse to Farm, then forward towards Bluefield.

The preceding is based on oral histories and, regretfully, I have little
information on the Tug Fork Passenger Run. Yes, there was no run around
at Jenkinjones, so 156 backed to at least the Anawalt wye and there was
no run around at Filbert, so 158 backed at least to the Gary wye. I
understand it did back (engine on the rear) into Welch from Tug and
photo evidence suggests that it backed out. There was a run around at
the Welch station and the morning stop had plenty of layover to do so.
By 1950, the second stop at Welch marked the end of the run.

As always, corrections, additions, and questions are most welcome. Hope
this helps.

Grant Carpenter