Thu Mar 31 08:42:54 EDT 2016

Last night, for the 600th time, I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with
four of the Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway.  Tomorrow, April
1, marks 12 years since we first met at Country Cookin' to talk about our
beloved fallen flag.  Much has changed in the past 12 years and our little
group is getting smaller and smaller, but we're still holding on to that
fallen flag!

 For Show and Tell I took an email I got from Michael DI Napoli, current
owner of the Virginian tug boat "W. R. Coe".  He purchased her in September
2009  to tow dump scows and renamed her "Deborah Quinn".  She worked for
Breakwater Marine and helped with dredging, salvage and dock building.
Michael's company and home are in Oyster Bay, NY, just a short walk from
Jake's shipyard where she was build.  "The boat's namesake, W. R. Coe, is
buried just miles from my house and Planting Field, his home that he
donated to NY state, is 2 miles from my house.  We have been going there
since I was a kid, never knowing I would own this boat."  On Monday this
week I got an email from Michael saying "I am renaming the "Deborah Quinn"
the       " W. R. Coe" as we have purchased another tug to replace her, and
will be assigning the "Deborah Quinn" to that boat." "I am currently
looking for a good home for the tug as I want her to continue being of
service to someone who needs a good boat."  Anybody out there want to
purchase the "W.  R. Coe"?

 The ebay report this time includes the following VGN items sold:  Tall
globe (red) Keystone Virginian lantern for $797.98; 1936 VGN RWY merger
with Virginian and Western Terminal Railway bound hardback for $99.99; and
one slide of VGN #507 with EL-2b in Roanoke in 1957 for $63.00.

 The Jewel from the Past, like those in a 17 jeweled Hamilton model 974
"Electric Interurban Special" is from January 15, 2009:  "Frank Breedlove
and Raymond East got into a discussion about how fast their old cars would
run.  This led to talk about the change to 12 volt electrical system from
the sometimes unreliable 6 volts on older cars.  Frank remembered on an old
truck he would 'run 90 MPH in daylight but had trouble making 55 after
dark, when the headlights were turned on"!

 We also discussed progress being made on the Virginian Station
restoration.  The stone wall is almost done on the corner of Williamson
Road and Jefferson Street that will have the "VIRGINIAN RAILWAY STATION"
sign mounted.  I am anxious to get to you a photo of this which of course
will be a new highlight of our effort to remember the VGN in Roanoke.

 Then there's this:  Looking into the pitch-black night, a sea captain sees
a light, dead ahead.  It's on a collision course with his ship.  He sends
out a light signal:  "Change your course ten degrees east."  The light
signals back to the ship "Change yours, ten degrees west."  Angrily, the
captain sends a second signal, stating, "I'm a navy captain! Change your
course sir."  "I'm a seaman, second class." comes back in reply.  "You
change your course, sir."  The captain in now furious "I'm a battleship!"
he signals,  "I'm not changing course for anything."  He receives one final
message, stating, "Well, I'm a lighthouse, so it's your call".

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DC