Virginian Railway Electrification/Riding the N&W Steam Clips

Tue Apr 5 10:35:00 EDT 2016

PRR investigated electrification west of Harrisburg but the capital costs were deemed too high at the time.  Traffic density has a lot to do with the overall ROI.  Line maintenance and declining diesel fuel cost killed the MILW and GN electrification.  If you look at the infrastructure on the old NH through CT you wonder why it has not collapsed on the track from lack of maintenance.
Europe has a lot of electrification because of traffic density and lack of fossil fuel availability, especially in Switzerland.

Sent from my iPhone
Jim S