signals for dummies

Thu Aug 4 19:14:56 EDT 2016

Is there anything that translates signal aspect definitions and their accompanying rules into layman's turns?  I have several N&W rule books and employee timetables, along with charts from online, that describe the signal aspects and list the rules, but I don't always see how that translates into a particular application on my layout.  I will give you two examples.

First, I have a double track mainline with a crossover.  Using a signal with two heads, I determined that green over blank was appropriate for staying on the main, and then guessed at red over green, which stands for diverging clear, was appropriate for when the trains are to crossover from one main to the other.

Second, I have a mainline with a turnout that accesses a through passenger station track.  Again, when staying on the main, a basic clear signal seems appropriate, but what about when trains are to enter the passenger station?  I can find various rules that apply to red over yellow or yellow over yellow that seem to make sense as they reference slow speed and prepare to stop, but nothing specific to a station or through siding.

So, does anyone have insights into these two specific example?  Is there a book, website, etc, that lists various scenarios (entering station, branch joining main, etc...) and what signal aspects and rules would apply?  Simply reading the rules and looking at the aspect descriptions never seem to translate directly to various track arrangements and operating scenarios.

Marty Flick