coaling towers

Sun Aug 7 17:58:08 EDT 2016

The story I heard from Gene Browning (Civil Engr., N&W) from Bill Harman
was that the contractor set off charges on the Vicker tower and barely
raised any dust, managed to blow a small hole in the roof. Subsequent
X-ray of a leg indicated a welded cage of scrap rail for rebar and all
manner of scrap metal from about the nearby shop track, tossed into the
form during the pour.

The prevailing sentiment was,"Leave it."

Grant Carpenter