No.7

Thu Aug 18 09:43:34 EDT 2016

Bill,
I can see that as a good solution. At least they would be "safe" and available for members and visitors to see.
Someone stealing stuff like that runs a danger of being discovered and possibly prosecuted so wouldn't likely display the items or brag about them like most of us would with a treasure.
Obviously there isn't much "love" expended by the City of Bluefield toward the engine. Like most cities, they wanted a memento and then the thrill went away and it's left to the vandals and elements. Often they don't care about it but don't want to part with it either. So many park engines and equipment fall in to that category.
Look at the 433 and Western Maryland Pacific #202 and see what it should be like. Maybe all the rusted hulks would be better off being scrapped than vandalized and rotted.
The pro to restoring them as such is they are maintained and protected. The con is they are difficult to photograph and access. Which is better? Personally I'd preserve them mounted, stuffed and preserved. Even the huge Illinois Ry Museum has realized that having such a huge rusted collection isn't as important as having a smaller preserved and useful collection. I knew a guy that had about 25-30 old Studebakers in a very rusted and beat up condition. He was very happy with them and loved them. Another guy had an original Avanti in drivable condition. Nobody got excited by the huge collection but sought out the Avanti to look at and admire. IRM figured that out.

It would be wonderful to see the 7 and 578 preserved in a better state but it's just a case of $$$$$ and the owners breaking loose with them. Also would need to find a willing new owner! Moving something like that gets rather expensive.
My 2¢.Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

 Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:52 AM
 Subject: Re: No.7

On 8/18/2016 7:33 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
>> Seems like there is a crying need for substitute whistles
>
>    So, you take off the originals and replace them with
> reproductions. What then happens to the originals? Do you store them
> in some obscure box never to be seen again or gets thrown away by some
> unsuspecting custodian or sell it and let the new owners worry about
> its protection?

Perhaps the Society could be of help by working up an agreement with the
city to provide substitutes and properly store the actual components in
the archives.

The Society might even find volunteers who would be willing to help with
the constant maintenance needed.

Take care
Bill

--
==  Scale Model Railroad Products  ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Bill & Diane Wade

B.T.S.
1782 Trinity Rd
Belington, WV  26250-7621

Phone: 304-823-3729
FAX: 304-823-2901
http://www.btsrr.com

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas.