No.7

Thu Aug 18 15:40:43 EDT 2016

(SNIP)

    Perhaps the Society could be of help by working up an agreement with
    the city to provide substitutes and properly store the actual
    components in the archives.

> This is a good first step, to store the items in the archives to
> protect them for the future. But rather than "stuff and mount" them,
> they should be as much a part of any other interpretation of the
> materials held by the society. The whistle could be hooked up to a
> proper source of air (or steam) under pressure to record the various
> signals that it was used to provide. Post the sound files where they
> can be listened to by anyone interested. Have a display at the VMT
> with pushbuttons to "play" the various signals and interpret their
> meaning. On a regular basis, arrange a "whistle blow" (in Roanoke,
> Bluefield, at conventions, wherever) so people can hear it in person.
> Same goes for the bell. Take a good photo of the backhead with gauges
> in place, then blow it up for a display with the gauges mounted in
> their appropriate location and information about what each gauge was for.

Good ideas, Bruce.

Another thought... rather than using wood for the replacements perhaps
urethane might be better.   The Society could then sell castings of the
bell and whistle to cover the costs of helping with the maintenance of
the loco.

Take care
Bill

--
==  Scale Model Railroad Products  ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Bill & Diane Wade

B.T.S.
1782 Trinity Rd
Belington, WV  26250-7621

Phone: 304-823-3729
FAX: 304-823-2901
http://www.btsrr.com

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas.