NW vs NS intermediate signals

Thu Sep 29 07:28:43 EDT 2016

So, Jimmy and Ed,
If I'm out on part of the old N&W today that has been converted to
"vaders", and I see a train enter the first of a couple blocks guarded by
intermediates, I'm assuming the signal will show its occupancy with a
"restricting".  When it leaves that block the next block in advance will
show "restricting".  Are you saying that the now-empty block will show
"approach" even though the next signal cannot cause the train to stop?  It
seems like the "approach restricting" aspect would be more correct in this
case, since the next signal is, in fact showing "restricting".  Ed, can you
give any more details about the case you mentioned where the "approach
restricting" aspect was actually used?
Thanks for your help.
Jim Cochran