Foreign Interlockings

Thu Sep 29 10:26:02 EDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, Sep 29, 2016 6:47 am
Subject: Re: Foreign Interlockings

On 9/27/2016 8:04 PM, NW Mailing List      wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded to my          inquiry about the 20 interlockings on the N&W back in 1930          which were owned by other roads.  Here is the updated list:

1.        Lynchburg           C&O

2.       St.          Paul  CC&O

3.       Clare           PRR

4.       Bannon           NYC

5.       Ironton           DT&I

6.       Walnut          St  VGN

7.       Hager           PRR

8.       Loch          Laird  C&O

9.       South          Norfolk  VGN

10.   Petersburg           ACL

11.   Riverton           SOU

12.   Charlestown           B&O

13.   Norcross           VGN

14.   Glasgow          ?  Can you help us Mason?  And for the next two?

15.   Winston          Salem   SOU?

16.   Winston-Salem           WSSB?

I need at least 4 more.

Glenn Fisher

Cornwall PA

I have no idea who "controlled" the crossings in Tidewater but      according to my map(s) , N&W crossed the Beltline  at Beltline      Crossing in south Norfolk, the Virginian at South Norfolk, Norfolk      Southern at NS Junction, and PRR, Beltline  and NS near  Lovett      Avenue  where the line to terminal station branched off.

 Tidewater was controlled by operators of the old Norfolk Southern, BUT Glenn is looking
for 1930 data and Tidewater (and Coleman Place) were still on the Virginian at that time.
The N&W/N&PL crossing near Bridge 7 at one time had an interlocking tower built
by N&W.  In later years, a southbound Belt Line crew would stop clear of US 460, and a crew
member would cross the highway and manipulate the levers at the interlocking after determining
there were no approaching trains.  (Gee, I wonder if they rated an operator's day ?). NS Jct
was an N&W/NS crossing, but N&PBL had trackage rights over NS also.  This was an N&W
facility and it was here that westbounds  first received train orders after leaving Lamberts Pt.
NS Jct. was one of the last lever-operated plants on the N&W. R.B. Claytor realized the
significance of the equipment and at the demise of the tower, he had the Signal Department
load the components into a gondola to be shipped to Roanoke for safe-keeping.  Unfortunately
someone mistook the contents for a load of scrap.                           Harry Bundy