12 pole bridges

Thu Oct 6 15:43:04 EDT 2016

Jim,

The Ohio Extension was built from both ends and from the middle in both directions. There were also multiple surveys going in both directions. There were 19 bridges in first 40 miles running from Ceredo east and they were numbered 1 to 19, with the bridge across Buffalo Creek being No. 1 and No. 19 being at Donithan Branch. This numbering system appears to have been used up to Bridge No. 59 over Millers Creek on the first Residency, Second Division. Except bridge numbers were not applied to trestles, stringer bridges and arch bridges, nor were they applied to all bridges.

I haven’t found anything yet on the numbering system used as the Ohio Extension was built west from Northfork. There are no bridge numbers on some of the original survey drawings from Northfork west.

Alex Schust