US Rt 23 Overpass, Pickaway County Ohio (north of Circleville)

Sun Oct 16 21:41:30 EDT 2016

Thanks Alex, great information.  This is the first I’ve seen a documents like these; the discussion of how the costs were split up was very interesting.

A couple of things stood out in the October, 1901 agreement with Scioto Valley Traction:
The first paragraph (beyond the Whereases) mentions - directly and indirectly - that the SVT would have two tracks at this point.  The SVT was a double track railroad from South Columbus to Obetz; apparently they were bullish about extending that at some point further south.
The N&W raised their track nine feet and SVT excavated ten feet down to get the clearance needed for the under crossing.  When approaching the under crossing on US 23 from the south, the road is dead level; today you would not assume the road (and SVT ROW) would have had to be lowered at all (see the 1933 ODOT photo linked previously for an illustration of this).  The roadway does ascend very positively once under the C&O bridge.

The concrete span / tunnel on the railroad east end of the structure is still an unknown.  I’ve updated my points from earlier below (for the record).  My apologies for the list for this extremely local information; perhaps it will be useful to someone when searching the mailing list archives in the future.

Known items, updated with new information from the ICC documents and under crossing agreement from the links provided by Alex Schust:
A 1914 SVT right of way provided by Alex Campbell dates the Agreement for crossing as 1901.  The survey shows the N&W as a single track railroad.  I’m assuming it was drawn prior to the 1911 double tracking, and not revised (this is a bit of a puzzle since the only date anywhere on this document is 1914). A snip from this survey is attached for reference.
The bridge was built to accommodate a request from the SVT for an under crossing at that point.  This agreement was reached in 1901. US 23 (at that time known as Ritts road crossing) is mentioned only as identifying place-name, not as being a beneficiary of the undercrossing.  In addition, by agreement, the entire cost was picked up by SVT and N&W.  Apparently local interests in having a roadway undercrossing at this point were nil and county / township governments were passive beneficiaries of this improvement.
A design plan for substructure / masonry for an under crossing at this location was completed in 1888, per references in the ICC Valuation.  These plans were used during the construction of bridge 1137A in 1902 (though possibly modified to accommodate SVT’s clearance needs)
The under crossing agreement with the SVT (attached to the ICC valuation) describes the SVT as having two tracks (this explains the unused third steel span that I had previously questioned the use of).  This second SVT track was never built.
Alex Schust’s book “Norfolk and Western in Ohio” lists a three span, single track, half-through plate bridge being constructed in 1902 (Bridge 1137A).
ICC Valuation (and related documents) provided by Alex Schust dated 3/13/20 describes no changes from the as-constructed details; i.e., no concrete slab-span at that date.
Masonry for this single track bridge was built to accommodate future double tracking.
Superstructure for the second track was added in 1910.
The concrete slab-span was built sometime after the ICC Inventory date of 3/13/1920 and the ODOT (Ohio Dept of Transportation) photo date of 1933.  The latter shows the bridge in the configuration that it is still in today.
The north abutment has 1948 cast into it.

My remaining working assumptions follow.
Concrete slab span/tunnel was added between 1921 and 1933.
One likely time date would be the late twenties, as part of the C&O Northern construction.  The alignment of this tunnel with the roadway undercrossing of the C&O, and the additional excavation that would have been required for this support this conjecture.
A less-likely date would be the early 1930’s using the assumption that the ODOT photo is a post-project construction photo and that this part of the bridge is not documented in Alex Schust’s book, which covers 1890-1930.
N&W rebuilt or strengthened the west abutment in 1948, encasing or replacing the original masonry abutment.  ICC Inventory and a description of the bridge’s substructure confirms that the original abutments were masonry.
The original east abutment was either replaced with a concrete pier during the span/tunnel construction, or it was encased in concrete and repurposed as a pier at that time.

ICC / SVT Agreement / Construction details (Alex Schust)
Location (Google Map):

https://www.google.com/maps/search/ritts+crossing/@39.6558593,-82.9573495,151m/data=!3m1!1e3 <https://www.google.com/maps/search/ritts+crossing/@39.6558593,-82.9573495,151m/data=%213m1%211e3>

1933 ODOT photo. Looking north

http://www.odotonline.org/photoArchive/PhotoArchiveImages/Large/pickrail33.jpg <http://www.odotonline.org/photoArchive/PhotoArchiveImages/Large/pickrail33.jpg>
Related photo looking south, N&W bridge is beyond the C&O (1938, context photo only)

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2330?size=_original <http://www.shorpy.com/node/2330?size=_original>

2015 Photos of the site:

Information pertaining to Bridge No. 1137A

Alex Schust

Moderator: